Exploring A New Horizon Reading Award Scheme 2020-2021
- Objective: In line with the development of the NSS curriculum, the reading scheme is aimed at broadening students’ horizons and enriching their knowledge through reading extensively.
- Date of Event: 5 Oct 2020 to 30 Apr 2021
III. Five reading domains
|Categories of books||Philosophy & Religion/ Art||
Sciences & Technology
|Social Sciences (including Economics, Politics & Finance)||History/ Geography||Languages (Chinese and English)|
500- 699 (Eng)
500 -599 (Chin)
300- 399 (Eng)
900- 999 (Eng)
Minimum no. of books required*
Form 1 &
Form 3 &
Form 5 &
* When Students have finished reading the required number of books, they can take their Reading Record Form to the library. The library teacher will put a sticker on their reading record for the five reading domains.
- Details of the Scheme
- Basic Requirements
|Category||No. of reading domains to be covered||
No. of books
to be read
(S1 and S2)
|20||One English book and one Chinese book, one of which must be non-fiction.||
Chinese book report: 300-500 words
English book report: 200-400 words
(S3 and S4)
Chinese book report: 500-700 words
English book report: 300-500 words
(S5 to S6)
Chinese book report: 600-800 words
English book report: 400-600 words
- Reading Record Form:
Students should keep a good record of their reading on their reading log forms and need to submit them to the library for inspection.
Dates of submission: 18 Dec 2020 and 30 Apr 2021
- Book Reports: (Book Report forms are available at the library.)
Students can submit their reports on the following dates: 28 Feb 2020* and 29 Apr 2020.
* Students must hand in at least one book report.
- Assessment Criteria:
– Number and types of books meeting the basic requirements
– Quality of books
– Standard of book reports
– First Prize (3 students): $ 600 / each
– Second Prize (3 students): $ 300 / each
– Merit Prize (no quota): $ 200 / each
- Submit an application form to the school library.
- Application deadline: 30 Oct 2020